Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Bouquet of Awesome

Ok, I should never say never (because you just NEVER know) but I think I can kind of, sort of, safely say that winter is behind us. I know this because John Miller has put out his annual flowers, and that’s a true sign of warmer weather. They guy knows his plants and he knows his weather! So it’s time to hit the greenhouses, and if you’re like me, you already have. I have vowed that I’m not buying any annuals this year because we are going to be building in our yard and I just won’t have the opportunity to spend my time dead heading. Plus, I’m Ukrainian and I like to eat, so I’m more likely to grow plants that I can graze on while roaming around in my yard.  But at least I can share some thoughts with you about annuals and how you can play with colour theory from an artist’s perspective to help come up with ideas on making arrangements for your outdoor flower pots.
 Colour is probably one of the most powerful elements of art there is. It has the power to capture your attention and leave you staring at one thing in a painting like a deer in headlights. I like to call this “punch you in the face colour emphasis”. You are left shocked by the colour that you’ve been assaulted with. Colour can also stir up a variety of emotions. Sit is a Pepto Bismal pink room for a good amount of time and see how you feel. Get my drift? Colour has impact and you can play with colour theory when composing your flower pot arrangements to get different desired effects and “curb side appeal”.

Let’s start with the basics; our primary colours. You can’t go wrong with a brilliant shot of red, blue and yellow in a flower pot. Just keep in mind that the eye will go to the yellow flowers first, (because our eyes tend to look at warm colours first) so either evenly place them throughout the flower pot, or put them as the highest or most central flowers. I am picturing a cluster of yellow marigolds in the center of a pot, surrounded by red million bells and finished with trailing blue lobelia to soften everything. It’s like Ernie’s (from Sesame Street) shirt transformed into a bouquet of flowers!

If you want your planter to have a unique edge, then go with the secondary colours, that being orange, green, and purple. The colours will vibrate like a Norval Morrisseau painting! Stick with lime greens such as Creeping Jenny vines, for extra “pop”.

If you want your flower pots to be a bit more subtle, and focus more on the form and texture of the flower, then think monochromatically. Monochromatic colour is based on selecting one colour and tints and shades of that same colour. So, if you pick red flowers, then you can also add deep red flowers and different shades of pink flowers as well, remembering that pink is just red with white added to it. This really makes your planter look unified.

For colours that just look like they were meant to be together, think of complementary colour theory. Complementary colours are made of one primary and one secondary colour that are opposite each other on the colour wheel. So team up any red flowers with green, team up orange flowers with blue, and team up yellow flowers with purple. Now when I say blue, it’s actually really difficult to find a true blue flower, but there are some that are pretty close. The bluest flower I’ve ever seen was in Phil Vinet’s garden. He’s the only person in the whole world that has been able to actually grow a Tibetan blue poppy from seed, and they are a marvel to look at. The thought of blue poppies beside wild, orange tiger lilies is quite the vision!

Finally, if you really don’t care, then go for the Crayola crayon box effect, (which by the way is called polychromatic colour theory) and just throw a mish-mash of flowers of different colours, textures and sizes together. After all, they’re flowers and you really can’t mess up a pot of flowers because, well….it’s a pot of flowers! And who doesn’t love flowers!? But if you want to be fancy-shmancy then think about your arrangements from an artist’s perspective, and play with the amazing colours that Mother Nature has shared with you. I would love to see pictures of your planters! Feel free to email me at funkydoodad@hotmail.com

Originally posted in the Northern Sun News on May 28th, 2014. 


No comments:

Post a Comment