Sunday, January 17, 2010

Meat Matters

I am embarrassed by my naivety. What I’m about to discuss may be obvious to you, but I’ve been ridiculously blindsided by the wealth of information that I’ve recently been reading and researching. To be honest, I don’t even really know completely what to do with this knowledge because I’m so overwhelmed by it all, and feel that my perspective on practically everything in the world has been altered, and not in such a good way. So bare with me as I bumble along here, trying to make sense of what I have learned. Also note that what I’m about to share is completely my perspective and in no way is a judgment of you and what you choose to do in your life. I’m simply in a stage of self-enlightenment.

This started late last year, when my friend called me up and said, “You should see the guy that is on Ellen. He’s talking about meat. He wrote some kind of book about meat.” That piqued my interest. People that know me know that I’ve been sitting on the vegetarian fence for some time now. God damn it, I love vegetables and I’m not going to be ashamed to show it! (Even though I actually get teased about eating vegetables, especially if it’s tofu, which I’ll always think is kind of weird. It’s like teasing someone for wearing glasses. I’ve never understood that one either.) So, I got the book. And I waited until after Christmas to read it because I knew that I would be eating meat at Christmas and I wanted to continue to be ignorant of the truth one last time.

Then I read the book. It’s called, “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer.

I have this habit of folding the bottom corner of pages in books when there’s something poignant that has piqued my interest, and then I go back to it and re-read that information and absorb it again. Well, about twenty pages in, I noticed that I had folded every bottom corner and I was in a conundrum because if I fold the corner on page 21 then I won’t know that there was something stimulating to go back to on page 22. So, I started highlighting information instead. Then after I read the whole book (which actually kept me up at night a couple of times) I started writing down those highlighted points in a word document. Wouldn’t you know it, I ended up extracting information from practically every page about things I didn’t know; I had no idea what was occurring in our world. (Refer to my blog called “Happy Facebook Bubble World” written in October of 2009.)

Ok, so then I sorted through the information I documented and decided to make topic headings so that I could begin to put this information into organized sections. These were the topics that I ended up coming up with: pollution, “designer” foods, cruelty/suffering, sanctuaries, cognitive abilities, “Big Daddy” companies, kosher?, human rights, efficiency, change/growth, health, employment, disease, pharmacy, memories, vegetarians, vegans, pasture farming, ecosystems, reality, evolution, manipulation. Holy shit. How am I going to turn this into a nice little bloggy something or another for everyone to sink their teeth into and get my thoughts across to not only myself but my readers? I’m at a total loss so I’ll just babble and highly recommend that you read the book for yourself.

Ok so, first of all, I just keep on thinking, “Geeze, I don’t want people to think that I’m trying to convert them to being a vegetarian,” because ultimately, I’M not a vegetarian and I hate being preached to about anything, even if it’s something I believe in. It’s definitely the anarchist in me that just likes to rebel from everything. I think that we as humans just hate being told that we’re doing something wrong, even if we know it’s wrong. I can connect this to my years as a smoker. There was a lot of fear connected to the prospect of quitting because I really liked smoking. I liked feeling like I was a part of a club in a way that had great conversations while we stood outside together, and when we walked back in to the non-smoking space, it was like we knew something more than everyone else. Kinda ironic, isn’t it? And there was a lot of fear with the idea of quitting smoking, and ultimately it’s easy to make every excuse in the book. The brain is powerfully manipulative, especially to oneself. I played some crazy tricks on my own mind to convince myself that it was ok to have just one or two cigarettes here and there. I met someone not too long ago that justified his smoking by saying it was his way of screwing over the government. Wow. His mind certainly went through a labyrinth to get to that point.
But this is about eating meat, not smoking. So the next thing I started thinking about was my memories with meat. (Get your mind out of the gutter, where I know it is right now. Oh, maybe that’s just me. Haha) I started thinking about how growing up in my home, we always had some kind of dead animal hanging in our garage with its tongue hanging out and blood dripping into a bucket. I thought about the humongous, delicious hamburgers that my dad makes every year on the barbecue for Mother’s day, stating that they’re “better than McDonalds by a long shot” (and they are). I think about sitting at the dinner table as a kid, passing my pork chop bone to my dad so he can suck the marrow out of it. I think of the summer sausage that used to hang over the kitchen sink so that it would dry and the fats would slowly drain out of it, and we’d have to ask to cut a slab off. It was a genuine treat. We’re Polish/Ukrainian, so meat was always a BIG DEAL in our home. But the farm meat that my dad and mom grew up with versus the farm meat I’ve grown up with are two completely different things. Absolutely 100% different and that’s petrifying.

Go ahead and find a kid that you know, or even one that you don't know, and ask them to draw a picture of a farm. Ask them specifically to draw a picture of where chickens, pigs and cows live and I bet you they’ll draw a picture of a barn and a silo and pigs rolling in mud, and cows in a pasture, when in reality these animals are just extensions of machinery and do not have access to the outdoor world at all. We live in a world of factory farming and until a couple of months ago, I was pretty damn oblivious to what the hell that actually really meant and what that means to me as a consumer.

This is what that means:

*99% of all meat is “created” in a factory farm.

*More than 250 million male “layer” chicks are killed each year, live, wood-chipper style. What do you think happens to that “meat” once it’s ground up? What is chicken meal?

*Many cows die slow painful deaths on factory floors simply because they haven’t been given water. They’re called “downers”. They’re tossed, live, into dumpsters.

*After a layer chicken has been forced to lay eggs over the course of one year, (they are unnaturally pushed to produce 300 eggs which is 2/3 more than their normal amount) they are killed because it’s more economically efficient to kill them and start again then it is to have chickens producing less eggs the second year. Chickens can normally live around 20 years.

*“Free range” chickens are 30 000 chickens on a factory floor with a small door at one end that opens to a 5x5 foot dirt patch. Do you think the chickens have come up with a rotational system so that all 30 000 of them have an opportunity to get some “fresh air”? (Also, the similar terminology of “cage free” or “free run” that you will find on egg cartons also applies to this concept.)

*KFC should never be consumed under any circumstances.

*A kosher slaughterhouse is as rare as a virginal bride.

*Chickens, turkeys and pigs are genetically designed to grow fast. They cannot bear their own weight and end up disabled by their own body.

*Many chickens are smarter than people but their sense of pain is not considered by most.

*If you cut a dog or cats throat open and ripped their trachea and esophagi out while they’re alive, you’d go to jail for a long, long time. But not if it’s a cow.

*Grab a ruler and measure out a rectangle that is 7 x 8.5 inches. That is the size of the cage a chicken lives its life in. Cage free birds also have about that much space because there are so many of them on the factory floor, so “cage free” is just as cruel.

*Most factory farmers calculate how close they can keep their animals to death without actually killing them to save on water and food.

*Upward of 95% of chickens become infected with E coli.

*Chlorine baths are commonly used to remove slime, odor and bacteria from meat.

*Chicken meat is soaked in a big bath, along with their feces, pus, and harmful bacteria. This makes the chicken you eat “plumper” looking. Sounds tasty, doesn’t it? They can call this “brine” to give you the impression that they were nice enough to marinate the meat for you. Mmmmm.

*While Americans ingest approximately 3 million pounds of antibiotics each year, factory farmed animals ingest approximately 17 million pounds of antibiotics. The factory farm industry is in alliance with the pharmaceutical industry which doesn’t give the public health professionals a lot of support. Go figure.

*Scientists at Columbia and Princeton Universities have actually been able to trace six of the eight genetic segments of the most feared viruses in the world directly to US factory farms.

*Vegetarians and vegans meet and exceed requirements for protein.

*Animal protein intake is linked to osteoporosis, kidney disease, calcium stones and cancers.

*Nearly one third of the land surface of the planet is dedicated to livestock, mainly in the form of factory farms.

*Real farmers do not work on factory farms. Use of the term "farm" is hypocritical.

*In the states, animal manure is not put through treatment plants, and large lagoons are created to hold acrid animal manure. People have actually died in them. Pigs have been inhumanely forced to run in to them and die.

*Alexander and I did some math based on a pig plant in Brandon, Manitoba. They get 75 000 pigs going through their plant in one week. In our community of 5000 people, that would mean getting 15 pigs each per week, resulting in 780 pigs per person per year. That is one plant, and one town. Who is eating all this meat? A family of four can live off the meat of a moose for a whole winter.

*Factory farm animals (cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens, even if babies or pregnant) are repeatedly abused the following ways: bludgeoned with wrenches and rakes, poles rammed into rectums and vaginas, slammed onto concrete floors until their eyes pop out, cigarette butts put out on their bodies, strangled, thrown into manure piles to drown, electrically prodded in the eyes, ears, anus, mouth, beaks ripped off, stomped on, spit on, body parts such as the ears and nose sliced off while alive, urinated on…..does that help in making the food tastier, I wonder?


I know what you’re probably thinking right now. Stop already! Stop giving me the gory details!!!! Yet again, our mind does not want us to know this information because it’s easier to eat McDonalds or canned meat or a reuban sandwich if we have no idea what actually happened in the process of creating that meat. We are so separated from the food that we consume that we don’t even think about the prospects of whether it was an animal or not, let alone how it was treated or raised (and I use the term “raised” loosely). We just don’t see “whole foods” anymore in the grocery store. A friend of mine said, “You’ll know if you’ve got a good chicken because it will be packaged with its feet still attached.” I can’t say that I’ve EVER seen a chicken in a grocery store with its feet attached, but I bet there would be an outcry in our community if that happened. They would be grossed out. People buy food in fancy boxes with bold labels that tell them how much fat and protein they’re ingesting. I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but the freezer section in grocery stores seems to be getting bigger and bigger, expanding on the amount of processed foods there are so that we forget that there is a chunk of animal in that box. Meat is being mulched and pressed into cute shapes and covered with sauces and breading and given exotic names. Would you buy something called “Pig Meat in a Box”? People get grossed out when I ask if they've ever accidentally "crunched" on something in a chicken burger or chicken fingers, and then tell them that the bones and feet of the chicken are also ground up with the chicken meat when those "burgers" are created. They should be grossed out. They wouldn't eat it if it was called "Breaded Ground up Chicken Feet and Bones and Rotten Meat Patties".

I remember when I was in New York last summer with my friend we were hard pressed to find a decent grocery store and when we did, we found that the prices of everything were astronomical. Nobody in New York cooks at home. Everyone eats in amazing restaurants and not so amazing street vendors. It’s actually more economical to do so and the factory farm owner thinks that‘s awesome. As long as people are not handling meat, and seeing blood, and touching real flesh, they won’t have to concern themselves with what actually happens in the process of getting that meat to the table.

And then I was reminded of my time in Luxembourg, in 1999. We had stopped in a quaint little town, and I remember being shocked by a display in the butcher shop’s window. It was a display of a Mamma pig and her piglets, taxidermied, of course. I remember commenting on how disgusting that was, to actually see what you’re going to eat before you buy it! That’s about as ridiculous as thinking it’s gross to see a cantaloupe or a bag of potatoes. My, how my perspective has changed. The Europeans don’t have any secret diet. They simply know what they’re eating.
And still after all this contemplation; I STILL played mind games with myself. I said to myself, “Well, this is just happening in America! This isn’t happening in Canada.” So again, I did my research, and it is ultimately the same, and most meat factories and food processing plants in Canada are run by “Big Daddy” companies outside of our country. The lines get blurred between what happens in Canada and what happens in the states. There’s even a Canadian form of the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) called CETFA which stands for Canadians for the Ethical Treatment of Food Animals. And when you start reading on their site, you see that it’s all the same everywhere, which is not good. That research took me to other sites and other sites, and I became more and more skeptical and ultimately had to make some choices and that is why I have chosen to not eat any factory farmed meat again.

Now, this really limits my choices in some ways if I want to eat something out of a can, because meat is thrown into a lot of things, like Habitant split pea soup and Libby’s pork and beans. I borrowed a can of Chef Boyardee from a friend because I was curious to see what they say about the meat products on their labeling. It says that it is “prepared for ConAgra Foods” This company is responsible for a high percentage of all canned foods. The company touts itself as “foods you’ll love”. Check out their website, and then do a google search with their name and add the word “fine” to it, and you’ll get a different story about their “food” (Yes, I am purposely putting the word “food” in quotations.) I’m more than willing to give that up for wholesome, fresh foods that come as close to the original source as possible.

And that can still include eating meat because on a positive note, it has made me realize in my research that there seems to be a revolution going on as well. As people are seeing the truth of meat, they too are making changes. Canada has a lot of “grass roots” farmers that are interested in the humane treatment and slaughter of animals, and the care of our land. These are the people I want to talk to and learn more from, and buy products from. And they’re not far away from where I live either, so I can actually make that trip down the road and make that choice instead of having a big company that hides their (half dead) animals behind big locked steel doors make that choice for me.

It also made me really proud of the people in my community that hunt. That may sound like a paradox to you, but I have never heard a story of a hunter in the area beating a moose to death with a shovel, or slicing off its nose alive or urinating on it as it slowly takes its last breath. Animals that are killed in our community are given the respect they deserve and completely appreciated. I know one woman that uses absolutely every single part of that moose that she kills, including the bones, which she turns into beautiful jewelery. These hunters have my respect. They are given a lot of flack by “city slickers” who think our practices are cruel. The irony is that they’ll go to a restaurant and order veal or foie gras while having the discussion about their barbaric neighbours to the north. Hmmmm…….

It’s kind of amazing actually how far we’ve come. We don’t allow PCB’s to be used anymore. We refuse to use CFC’s because of what they’ve done to the environment. Most of us recycle what we can. Composting is becoming a common household practice in many homes (What? You’re not composting yet?). Many of us refuse to buy products that have first been injected into the eyes of lab bunnies. And the only way this has come about is by someone that has been bold enough to expose the truth. A lot of the information that Mr. Foer received for his book was shared by people from the factory farm industry itself that couldn’t keep their mouths closed about what occurs on factory farms. Exposure is what creates truth, and I’m feeling enlightened.

If after reading this, your mind continues to play tricks on you about the reality of these facts, perhaps you’ll have the ability to watch “Meet Your Meet”. I’ll provide that link along with some other interesting cites at the end of this article.

Now, where’s that tofu recipe……..








*Most of the information extracted for this blog is from "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

**I am including a map of the Dryden area that a friend just passed on to me. These are local organic farmers that have humane and healthy practices. Something to think about at least, if you happen to be in the neighbourhood. There are choices out there. Hooray!



23 comments:

  1. Read about what they do to vegetables now! You might never eat again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Rhonda! The more I learn the easier it is to remove unethically produced meat from my diet. My children have hardly even noticed the change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! That's why I refuse to buy genetically modified seeds (if that is even possible; that may be a lie too) and grow my own. :) What a crazy world we live in.....

    When I think of vegetables, interestingly, I think of human rights issues. I would shit on a spinach plant too if I was working for a company that refused to give me bathroom breaks.

    Karma, karma, karma......

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post rhonda, made me think of a movie they have at video plus right now called Food, Inc. i haven't seen it but... might go along with the food topic for you!

    i was a vegan for a few years some time ago, i have to say i probably felt my healthiest (though i happened to actually be getting some excercise as well). i still never had a problem with hunting though, either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lynne. I haven't watched Food Inc yet, but plan on it as well. I'm curious to know why you went vegan and why you stopped. I think I'd have difficulty with the limits of a vegan lifestyle, but can see that's it is much more acceptable and variety is more available nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes yes. I'm curious what kind of options for ethically produced meat there are in Red Lake? Please spread the word!

    Also on a more optimistic note, I thought you might enjoy this really interesting video about humane fois gras: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_barber_s_surprising_foie_gras_parable.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Rhonda! This information is so important to pass around. I've also changed the way I think about the animals I eat and realize how fortunate my family is to have a freezer full of wild meat. I was one of those people who had also cried, "Don't tell me! I don't want to know!". But ignorance is not bliss. I know the truth now and that bell cannot be un-rung. This knowlege is not about becoming a vegitarian. Like you said, there are places locally where one can purchase meat that comes from animals that DO live outside in the fresh air and graze on grass and peck at the ground. If you do a little bit of searching and asking around I'm sure you'll find them.

    Anyway Rhonda, I'm glad you took the time to sort out your thoughts and share them with all of us. I'm sure now that it's done you're sleeping a little better too.

    You'll have to come over for a delicious moose roast soon...you bring the home grown veggies...I'm not quite "there" yet.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all have to be very careful not to take the butter knife approach and spread it onto everybody ... allopathic conventional medicine does this. While it is critical that we eat locally from micro-farmers, each person has a unique blood, glandular, metabolic, and oxidation typology and if you suggest that everyone should be vegetarian, you will be causing harm. For example if an O Blood, Thyroid, Protein, High Oxidizer becomes a vegetarian they will not be able to lift a pencil within the year and a slow painful demise will be the eventual outcome as they starve to death. It is important that we use knowledge, typologies, and our local organic farmers when it comes to appropriate regimen.
    Allyson McQuinn, DMH, DHHP, MDP
    www.arcanum.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Allyson. If you read the information, you will see that I certainly do not advocate that everyone becomes a vegetarian, but thanks for your perspective. I've yet to meet a vegetarian that has starved to death, but again, I'm learning a lot of "firsts" through my research and I'll be checking your information out too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey. Come and see our farm any time. You will see our laying hens jumping from perch to floor,flying in their winter coop. They are in grass, sun and fresh air all summer. Our pork is "pastured" -outside winter and summer, and graze on grass, dig roots and eat nothing but clean grain - no concentrates, supplements or hormones. Our beef is bale and corn-stalk grazed all winter, and have a well thought out grazing system in summer, so the grass gets a 60 day period of rest between grazing. Our sheep are also rotated for oiptimum health and grass/land use. We care for our land by planning for growth of micro-organisms and we are working on getting it back to the way God spoke it. We do not harm our animals - ever. When they are butchered, they come to a pail of chop, and Greg quietly walks up to them and shoots them once in the head. They have no fear, no pain. They don't suffer. We feed our laying hens weed seeds, grain, alfala in winter, & fresh grass in summer. We have fresh, Omeag-3 eggs every day from our chickens, and are grateful for each one.
    You could have a few chickens in your back yard if you wanted. It is easy to set up take care of - but you have to take care of them. The huge numbers of our society are disconnected from what we eat - even in rural areas. Our family chose this lifestyle because we did not want to eat all the additives that are in meat. We feed our animals NO GROWTH HORMONES, STERIODS or anything else harmful. They sometimes get antibiotics (like 2 animals a year) but are not eaten after that. (Like my baby Tiny Tim the lamb - he is my precious pet now and is my "mitten mutten.") This is a serious, hard working lifestyle though, and we can't just pick up and leave without having someone take care of the animals. Someone has to do the chores. While you are doing research, check into Holistic Management. There is a huge group of people all over the earth doing this type of farming. It is the answer to healing the planet. Also check into Joel Salatin,who has lots to say about the blankness that the general public has had when it has come to food in recent decades. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that there are "NO" farmers, or that all factory farmers are maniacs that try to torture and maim animals. There are many that are just trying to make a living and feed their families, and the economy has made it more and more difficult to make a tiny bit of profit from farming, that these practices slowly became the norm. They don't like it any more than you do, and there are alot of decent people wishing that the general population gave more of shit about what they eat. Most people just want their meat cheap, no matter where it comes from or how it got there. Thankfully, this is changing now with ideas like the 100 mile diet, etc. Growing your own food - veggies, eggs and meat - is hard work. I have beleived in the benefits of clean eating all my life. I struggled with feeding my kids good food in a world that was blind to the boatloads of sugar and crap that they handed their kids with a smile on their face. A complicated issue, with many sides. Unfortunately, the people who are doing hands on farming have way less time to do much marketing on their own behalf, because they have less time - they are out caring for their animals! This is an ancient debate. It has been going on long before you saw the guy on Ellen. And after I saw him, I emailed him, and have not heard back.
    You are inviteed to come for a field trip any time. We will have our first batches of piglets on May 11th, first lambs the week before. The cows will calve in April. We will have chicks in the pasture by June. If you come in late May or early June, you are guaranteed to see many babies and see how we farm. You could even pick up a few chickens to take home and start your own eggs in your back yard. I would sell you a few. Check out "Chicken Tractors" on the internet and you will be amazed at what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah Lisa, You said it all so eloquently, and I have wanted to come to your farm for some time now and will! I'll come and help. You are doing what I wish more would do, and yes, it will happen. I don't believe that "farmers" work on factory farms, scientists and economist and engineers do. We still have farmers working on farms and it's damn hard and I'm grateful. Pre-factory farmers have lost their jobs, their will and their land but I am optimistic that it won't last forever. I see this ideal moving from underground to mainstream and that is exciting. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. (PS: I emailed him too and got a generic email back stating that because of the influx of mail, he's unable to respond to my email specifically and directed me to his website instead, which is fine. The discussions are interesting, to say the least.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRAVO Rhonda...great read, though hard.

    As to the bleach baths that some meat is given to "sanitize" it...I can attest to that as I've seen it done... could say more, but enough for now.

    as to Food Inc. it's a good movie, very informative. Also, Peaceable Kingdom is available for borrowing at Junk'n'Java. That one is hard to watch, but was an awakening for me, to be sure. I cried so much watching it, but it opened my eyes to the unethical treatment our animals get before they are brought to the table. There would be an enormous public outcry if we all realized how badly these creatures are treated. They really never live...they exist, and then they are slaughtered. I would rather pay a bit extra and know that the animals I am ingesting at least saw daylight and ate good food rather than chemicals, etc. And, I would suggest that anyone who has not had an egg from a true "free-run" chicken take this challenge...find someone locally who has chickens that roam...take an egg from them, and a store-bought regular egg (not free-run")...cook them both and taste them without adding any seasoning to them...I think you will notice a huge difference in the taste...the real free-run are much more palatable...my opinion, anyway.

    Thanks again Rhonda...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your kind words. And I absolute agree. REAL eggs rock! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxTfQpv8xGA

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a vegetarian (and very new vegan) who saw your link on Jonathan Safran Foer's facebook page. It reminds me so much of when I started learning about the meat industry and was totally disgusted with it. Although I went about it very weirdly. At first I stopped buying milk (just milk on it's own) and only bought free range eggs. Then, years later, went veg and now vegan. The more you research,the more it makes sense. If you do it step by step it's not that hard. I am, and always have been, a girl who LOVES her food! It's great to hear about this farm that has happy hens (really, I think it's a fantastic thing!). However, I'm guessing that the male chicks that are born during the breeding of the egg laying hens are either gassed or ground alive. PLEASE CONSIDER going veg or vegan or simply reducing meat and dairy consumption. Thanks so much for sharing your insights online!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS. Watch Earthlings online, there's a free website. If you can still eat eggs/drink milk after that - so be it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your comments anonymous Vegan friend! :) I am trusting that Lisa who has the happy hens probably keeps the male chicks instead of gassing or grinding them, because she is extremely considerate of living a humane life and extends that to all of her animal friends. I am really skeptical of going completely vegan simply because I'm not to trusting of the "tofu craze" that is out there, which also links with genetic modification and carcinogens. I think for myself personally, I'm simply trying to live a life that isn't blind to the realities of what is actually happening when we consume products on any kind, including the products we absorb into our body through our "beauty regimen". (By the way, I'm not saying that vegans just eat tofu...you might want to read the blog I wrote last year, I think in October, about tofu.) I guess I'm just skeptical about consumption all together, but I too, LOVE FOOD. I will definitely consider your great advice and will look at your link as well. Take care and come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy geepers. My apologies for all of the typos in the last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the ongoing conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too, Lisa. BTW, did you know that there is a Facebook "fan page" for Jonathan Safran Foer's book where discussions are being had on a continual basis. It's worth checking in to. I don't think that Jonathan is on the site too often but there is a plethora of perspectives there and it's really amazing what some of them are. Jonathan was apologizing the other day on the site, stating that someone else posted a video without his knowing it because he has others helping to keep the fanpage running. I personally think that's disappointing, so I am skeptical as to whether his comments on the fan page are actually his or not, but I like the discussion that is ensuing. Ironically, the video that he was apologizing for was based on polyfarming, which I posted on this blog, because I thought it was phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was at the grocery store today and a woman who is 90 years old saw that I had a bag of organic oranges in my cart. She asked how much they were and I replied that I didn't know, and didn't really care because I was just happy to have some organic products in my cart. Then I told her the navel oranges were on sale for 66 cents a pound. I met up with her again a couple of aisles later and she said to me, "You know, I'm 90 years old. (She told me this in the produce section earlier as well.) I've lived through the dirty 30's and World War II. I had to flee the Germans and lived all over the world. And I've never been hungry. I even lived on $5 a month but I wasn't hungry because I ate farm food. There was always farm food. So if you can afford to eat real food, buy it and eat it because everything has funny 'stuff' put in it now, even farm food. My brother was a farmer and he started sprinkling stuff on his lettuce to get rid of bugs and I told him to wash it afterward and he didn't! And you're in your 30's and I'm telling you this so that you don't eat that food that is full of stuff and maybe you can live to your 90's too." I thanked her for her advice and appreciated her sage wisdom. Impeccable timing. I was lucky to have my thoughts solidified by this brilliant woman.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a follow-up to our conversation the other night, I'm thinking it IS better to be informed! At least on this matter. The things you put into your body has an obvious direct effect, and those things should be given precedent in my list of what not to be ignorant about. Haha, is it still ignorance if there is a "list"? Anyways, great read Rhonda, thanks for the link, and I'll be sure to read more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey! Thanks, Daana! And good question...I don't think it's ignorance when we have consciousness of the list. It's the actions that follow the thoughts on the list that make that decision, I guess. :)I have ethical meat coming my way in the next couple of days, so we'll have a big dinner! Burgers! It has been at least a year since I've eaten ground beef. Thank God for Lisa Clouston and her husband Greg. :)

    ReplyDelete