Saturday, October 3, 2009

Toe Thumbs Unite!


I grew up sort of feeling like an outcast; not because I had a huge gap between my front teeth (I could whistle with my mouth closed), and not because I was the weird little arty kid that took three hours to get home on rainy days (because I had the gargantuan chore of saving every earthworm that was going to meet its fate on the road after the storm passed). I was born with what is called "toe thumbs" and every time someone noticed my toes, er, I mean thumbs, they would make a really, really, really big fuss about it. And it is/was usually a statement like, "Oh my God! Look at your thumbs! They're soooo weird! They look like toes! Have they always been like that?"  (No, one night I took a magic pill that I found under a spotted mushroom and when I woke, not only did I discover that I could yodel in German, but I also aquired toes for thumbs.)You could imagine the humiliation and embarrassment when it would draw the attention of passer byers who needed to see this anomoly.  I actually got to a point where I had forgotten what my thumbs looked like because I kept them neatly tucked in my hands, hiding behind my folded fingers. I think now a days, therapists call this "disassociation". Whatever. It was a shameful waste of energy. If only I had known that I would grow to be absolutely proud of my "toe thumbs" and will show them off to anyone willing to take the risk and look. Go ahead and have a whole hearted look.

To add fuel to the fire, I also was a thumb sucker when I was a child, and am adament that it is a genetic trait that runs on my father's side of the family. When my son was 5 months old, he decided to not only wean himself from breast feeding, but become a thumb sucker on the same day. Oh yeah, and he also got a bunch of new teeth that day, and all of this occurred while on a short holiday in Winnipeg in a hotel. Nice. There we were with a screaming baby with raw gums, and a mother with engorged, time-bomb breasts in a hotel room. In retrospect, I feel really bad for whoever was in the next room. (In retrospect, I feel bad for whoever was in the same room with my son and I.) When I got home from that trip I went to visit my parents and asked which of them sucked their thumb when they were a baby and my father sheepishly admitted to the habit as a boy. I knew it. Thumb sucking genetics. So, my son sucked his thumb for years, and I let him. I knew how comforting it was, but I didn't want him to be one of those kids that sucks his thumb in school. I never did. I was a closet thumb sucker but I wasn't sure whether Alexander would be able to handle that. So I pulled out the big guns, that being my toe thumbs. I told Alexander that my thumbs didn't always look the way they do; that they actually got smaller and smaller from years of thumb sucking. It worked. He stopped; cold turkey.

Fortunately, Alexander forgot about that fable because I had another one that I had told him, and this one has seemed to stick. Or at least I'm still sticking to the belief that Alexander still believes this to be the truth....perhaps he's humouring me. I told Alexander that I was born without thumbs at all, that I just had four fingers on each hand. I said that in the same hospital where I was born, someone else was born with an extra set of "big toes" on their feet, resulting in that child having12 digits. It was easy math for the doctors, who immediately gave me the extra toes on my thumbs and all families were satisfied. He really takes a good long hard look at my thumbs sometimes. I think he's checking for scars from stitching.....

So, I have grown to love my stubby little toe thumbs. And interestingly enough, one of my dearest friends, who is also an artist, has the exact same thumbs as me. And when I was in the Fine Arts Faculty in university, I saw many, many toe thumbs. Perhaps having toe thumbs is an art thing. I jokingly say that ballet dancers have ugly feet and artists have ugly hands, but maybe there's a bit of truth to that. I wonder what da Vinci's thumbs looked like, or van Gogh's, or Heironymous Bosch's! I bet you any money Heironymous Bosch had toe thumbs!  I'll never know, but I know that my toe thumbs are here to stay, so I might as well love 'em 'cause they're all I've got.

And if you want to stop me on the street to see my thumbs, I don't mind, but be prepared, because I might ask to see one of your body parts.


11 comments:

  1. As a thumb sucker myself for 10+(+) years, I wish I had you and your story around for me to quit cold turkey! Instead I had my orthodontist telling me to wear a glove or wool mitt on my hand to remind me not to suck my thumb...it eventually worked. The top of my thumbnail is flat, and the roof of my mouth fits my thumb like a puzzle to this day. I chose to encourage soother sucking for our children and had success both times! I do find myself having a soft spot for thumb suckers...I understand the comfort it brings :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the roof of my mouth is pretty incredible too! Still fits my thumb like a glove. My parents were told to put tobasco sauce on my thumb! Could you imagine? Why would anyone do that to their kid?! Fortunately, they didn't...or perhaps that I why I have such a low tolerance for spicy food to this day. Hmmmmm....Anyway, maybe I needed to write a blog called, "Thumb Suckers Unite!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah :) I have toe thumbs :) this is awesome. I just recently figured out so does my great aunt. i wonder if it like skips a generation? When i was younger i always just thought my thumbs were deformed or something... i never knew there were other people that have the same thumbs i do. People would always comment and be like "awww your thumbs are so short..." or "they're so cute... look at your little nail" It sucked though when i had to get fake nails for like banquets and stuff... the people that put my nails on could hardly ever find a nail to fit mine because it was so wide.. and it always looked awkward. I like this website. My thumbs look just like your alls :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have these thumbs, and I just decided to do some research. I can't find too much about it, except that aparently 1 in 1000 people have them, and it is more common in females! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY GOSH. my mom and i both have toe thumbs, and i used to suck my thumb when i was little. She told me exactly the same thing!! and my friends always marvel at my stubby little thumbs.. hah
    but it does make texting slightly difficult..
    (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I don't even bother having a cell phone. What's the point? They don't make a keyboard for toe thumb texters unfortunately. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have toe thumbs.
    people are always saying things about them.
    i feel a little better knowing that other people have them, but i'm still really self concious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't be self concious about it! Embrace them because they're not going anywhere and they're awesome conversation starters and a great way of getting people to share their body parts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I find it funny that you're ashamed of your toe thumbs because... I'm attracted to wide thumbs (seriously loll). I have a very rare preference (I searched the internet to know if it was common and it's not) that consist of comparing my thumbs with a women that has larger thumbs than mine and just doing so turns me on (seriously loll) (precisely, seeing the difference in sizes turns me on). I'm a 32yo French Canadian men, 6 foot tall with thumbs about 20mm wide and I would love to have a girlfriend with broader thumbs than mine but it is so rare that I don't think it'll ever happened but who knows... Anyway, I hope that you liked the fact that some people are turned on (don't ask me why though loll) by this and be proud of your wide thumbs! :)

    Cheers 

    Of you want to talk about it, my e-mail is : svendar78@videotron.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this!! im so glad there's other people who have gotten all the same comments as i have! i used to hate them but ive accepted the fact that this is how God made me, so im ok with it :) and it must be an arty thing because im an art studio major haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got those comments too! I have a background in dance, but would never make it professionally because I tucked my thumbs in!! My dad has one toe thumb only! He once lost his passport overseas and I had to vouch for him. When the consulate asked if I could prove that we were related, my dad reached over and grabbed my hands, and put our thumbs side by side-the administrator looked and said "come back in 10 minutes for the signed papers"! One of my three kids has a mild version of the signature thumbs thumbs.

    ReplyDelete