Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Soul Sisters

I have stumbled across amazing people in my life; having moved around a lot in my childhood (by the time I was 12 I had moved 6 times). Even though I was a brutally shy child, and to this day I still consider myself to be shy, I learned that the only way I was going to actually have a life of interest was if I was both approachable and willing to approach others. 
  A serendipitous encounter in The Water Buffalo is what led me to marrying the love of my life.
 It was the coincidental meeting in an introductory Psych 101 university course that re-introduced me to my “bestie”. We spent the rest of the term skipping class and going out for coffee instead. I barely got my credit in that class but the development of our friendship was much more important.
 I can’t imagine my life without these awesomely fantastic people, and also makes me think of all of the wonderful characters that are yet to come into my life, whether just for a fleeting moment, or a life time.

While on holidays last week in South Dakota, I took a journey through the market square of Rapid City and came across a funky art store that sold locally made art. When I walked in I instantly felt at home. It was cluttered from floor to ceiling with doodads and whirly-gigs. Art was covering every square inch and most was made with re-claimed materials, was layered in multi-mediums, and screamed QUIRKY! Behind the counter, a woman was busily chatting with a friend, the excitement in her voice resonating throughout the store as she talked about her artistic world. I was delighted by the company and the environment.

When I had the opportunity to strike up a conversation with the owner, I pointed to a cluster of ravens that had been meticulously yet fluidly painted onto canvas. She staked claim on them, and I told her of my love of ravens too, explaining their meaning for me, and pointing to the raven’s wing permanently embedded in my arm as a tattoo. I could tell by her use of reclaimed material in the jewelry that she made that she too was a raven with a scavenging spirit. She said that she was actually getting a tattoo of ravens put on her shoulder next week.  I felt an instant kinship, and even asked her if we were long lost sisters, to which she replied, “….soul sisters. We’re soul sisters.” I bought a pair of earrings and left feeling a new revitalization with who I was and what is important to me in the world.
That chance meeting with my soul sister made me think of who I am as an artist. I walked into a place that looked like the artwork was all created with me in mind. I could relate to the artwork being created. I understood the perspective of the artists. I knew the process they went through to get to their final art piece. It made me think of what I am creating today and whether I have allowed myself to stray too far away from my true art form. I have a studio full of trinkets and  doodads that float around as visions in my head. I don’t make them into art because the demand isn’t there for what has been considered a bit too unconventional. I had a regional gallery owner tell me that “people don’t buy abstract art” so I stopped making abstract art. Why did I do that? Why did I allow one person’s perspective to alter my direction when just two states away, there is someone out there that has a whole 1000 square foot, two leveled studio and gallery full of art that is just like my own?!  It has made me realize (again) that there is a place in the world for everyone. I walked into a foreign space and was welcomed with open armed acceptance of true self and I’m going to dive in again, and start creating art for me and the truth of my inner creativity. It`s an exciting and beautiful thought.

 I guess out of all this, the moral of this story (not that I’m into sharing morals in all of my articles!) is that it doesn’t hurt to talk to strangers. There are more beautiful people in the world than not, and they all have something that we can learn from them, if we take the time to ask questions and listen without judgement. Thank you, Soul Sister, for revitalizing my funkydoodad spirit!

This article was originally written for the Northern Sun News on July 30th, 2014. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this...I have also come to the realisation that 'shy' is a hardship we must overcome because it keeps us from meeting some incredible people...that really resonated with me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am painfully shy also and it comes off as being snobby or aloof to others sometimes. I am very introverted and like to really know my friends. It takes me a long time to gain trust in people but when I do, I am 100% dedicated to that said person. I love the serendipitous encounters that I have with awesome people when I'm not afraid to come out of that shell and take a chance. :)

      Delete